This policy is created to guide University employees on the appropriate sharing of demographic and financial information stored in Davie with external sources – those from outside of the University. Information about alumni, donors and friends in Davie is to be used for individual communications of a personal nature or in service to the University. Use of this information for any commercial, political or external solicitation purpose is expressly prohibited.
If a record is marked CONFIDENTIAL, no information in that record should be shared. If a record is marked ANONYMOUS, no giving information in that record should be shared.
This policy is intended for use with small, individual external requests. Requests for reports or data on a large group, (e.g. alumni living in a particular city, donors of a certain amount, etc.) are generally not granted. These requests should be directed to either the Director of Alumni Records and IS at the GAA or the Associate Vice Chancellor of Development Operations in the University Development Office.
The following information CANNOT be shared:
- Any information on a CONFIDENTIAL record
- Social Security Number (does not exist on Davie record)
- Birth date
- Ethnic group
- Parents’ names and addresses gathered from the student record
- State and/or US Territory from which the student entered the University
The following directory information CAN be shared:
- Full name
- Address (home and business)
- Telephone listing
- Preferred e-mail address
- Major field of study (see notes)
- Dates of attendance (see notes)
- Degrees and awards received (see notes)
- Most recent previous educational institution attended
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Inquiries pertaining to a donor’s giving history are assessed on a case-by-case basis with reference to the attached access policy chart.
- Requests for degree information (degree, major field of study, award dates, entrance dates, etc.) are best referred to the Registrar’s office to assure that FERPA rules are not violated. The Registrar is the only source for official degree information – do not represent degree information in Davie as official.
- These rules are not intended to apply to commercial vendors who are contracted to assist with development work. Any commercial vendor (e.g. mailing house, data analysis) must sign a non-disclosure agreement before receiving any data.
- Information contained in newspaper clippings, questionnaires, correspondence — anything gathered after a student leaves UNC — is not private per FERPA and may be shared.
- If an alumna/us is making the request, please ask him/her to verify his/her own address information to help keep our records updated.
- If you are concerned about the legitimacy of a request, offer to forward a message to the donor/alum as appropriate.
Access to Information in Davie
|Person Requesting Information||Directory Information||Relationships||Gifts and Pledges||Planned Giving||Plans and Interactions||Research Information||Student Info|
|Other University Staff||X||0||0||0||0||0||X|
|Development Volunteer Assisting with Fundraising||X||X||X||Ask PG Staff||0||0||FERPA|
|Nondonor and All Others||X||0||0||0||0||0||FERPA|
|Report/Media Rep||REFER TO UDO OR SCHOOL/UNIT PR PROFESSIONAL|
Student Information in Davie
Be very careful about how student information is shared. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) restricts the external dissemination of student information. All student records maintained by an educational institution are covered by FERPA and penalties for releasing information covered by FERPA are harsh. Generally, directory information may be shared unless the student has asked us to withhold it – those records are marked CONFIDENTIAL in our system. Once a student has invoked FERPA and has a confidential record, we must honor that request until we are asked to remove it by the student/alum. The directory information, during the time it is protected by FERPA, cannot be shared externally. It is appropriate and acceptable for the University to use this information to communicate with the student even if he/she has invoked FERPA protection.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact Roger Nelsen (General Alumni Association) at 919-962-7055 or Dave Kass (University Development) at 919-962-3429.